I know what you're thinking... too much "Farmville" on FaceBook for ol' Rongo! While that's probably true (Jeri's nodding her head) the title question is the right one to open our discussion this week. You weren't raised on the farm you say? You don't hold an Ag Management degree from THE Ohio State University? Okay, let's explain what we'll be talking about as we explore chapter 24: "Any Room Left in Your Margins?"
In Paths to Power, A.W. Tozer (go ahead - Google him) writes: "The fallow ground lies protected from the shears of the plow... safe and undisturbed... never does it see the miracle of growth." On the other hand, the plowed field has been "upset, turned over, bruised, and broken... all over the field the hand of God is at work in the... ever renewed service of creation." So, which are YOU, fallow or plowed?
Now let's enlarge the question of fallow or plowed to include a consideration of margins. You see, even Christians get caught up in a performance-driven society; we often seem to struggle with busyness. John Ortberg, former teaching pastor at the Willow Creek mega-church near Chicago (no Googling required), said in The Life You've Always Wanted: "I was afraid if I declined opportunities, they would stop coming, and if opportunities stopped coming, I would be less important, and if I were less important, that would be terrible... I didn't want to admit that I have severe limitations. I didn't want to admit my need for things like rest. I didn't want to admit that I wasn't Superman." So, are YOU trying to be Superman (or Superwoman)?
The "Seasoned Advice" for this lesson comes from Richard A. Swenson, MD. Dr. Swenson seemed to have the perfect life--a successful career, a wonderful family, a great church, involvement in the community. But he says "somehow, unexpectedly, everything had become a burden." He was suffering from constant headaches and his wife was always crying. Both were the result of an undeniable illness: OVERLOAD! Well now... does that sound familiar?
It's YOUR life, right? Sure it is. But,since God created us with human limitations, it is NOT the limits that are the enemy... OVERLOAD is the ENEMY! Our author (Colin Creel, remember?) tells us "if overload is the diagnosis, MARGIN is the TREATMENT." He defines margin as "the space between our load and our limit." He goes on to say that exceeding our limits will result in frustration, disorganization, and exhaustion. Have we touched a nerve yet? Getting a bit too personal, are we?
I wouldn't want to leave you in that state of agitation, my friends, so here's a hugely serious question to ponder: When nature (that's really God, by the way) presses the "pause" button are you relieved or frustrated? If you're relieved it's a sure bet that you "get it" and know to reduce the overload. And if you're frustrated (it is YOUR CHOICE, you know), well... you get to experience that frustration until you too "get it" and decide to see it God's way.
What's God's way, you ask? Let's acknowledge first that He certainly DOES ask us to walk that second mile, to carry others' burdens, to witness to His truth at any opportunity, and to teach our children to lead God-honoring lives. But doing this in a booked-full, exhausting, and overloaded manner is NOT God's way! We must have margin in our busy lives, for it is in that margin that we become available for His purposes. And that brings us to our last question: How will YOU create margin so that YOU are neither too idle (fallow) nor too busy (plowed)?
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well as far as overload are concerned, Wal-Mart comes to mind. I can go there either alone or not at anytime of day and after 20 minutes I WANT OUT!! I get so overloaded by people sounds smells and stuff EVERYWHERE!!! And as goofy as it sounds, I feel the same way about life alot too. Kids, husband, house, work, bills, church and stuff seem to be everywhere every minute of everyday. And sometimes I just want to it to stop and even go away sometimes (not kids husband or church of course) But then, i try to stop and think.. would I be better off or happier without all these tings? I have to stop and remember to thank God for all that I have. All these "burdens" are actually blessings from him. If I lived a life of "unplowed" ground I would be absolutely miserable! And by stopping my little pity party and remember that He gave this all to me and I need to give back, makes me reflect and take a second to be grateful
ReplyDeleteValarie: Gotta like the "burdens to blessing" thought! Ya know, whenever we stop and reflect on where it ALL came from and to whom it still ALL belongs... it should (and sometimes DOES make us grateful and we WANT to give back. (and happiness is a new puppy!)
ReplyDeleteI deffinately have alot of "plowed ground" in my life right now. I do think though that I know how to slow down and relax when the "pause" button is pushed.
ReplyDeleteMatt: Keep in mind that it is a "pause" button and not "stop" (hmmmm... RON: Keep in mind that it is a "pause" button and not "stop). Always appreciate your input, my friend (:
ReplyDeletei dont have to have "pause" button. a "slow-mo" would be nice sometimes though. when we got home today i had thought. (scary I know) but by our back door is a small counter with drawers. its our mail, home work, keys cell phone, reminders counter. and every week it seems like i have to stop and take time to clear out some of the clutter. everytime i tell myself it would be easier to just keep it clean and throw out what is not needed and keep everything else organized. kinda like life i think. if we would take time to keep our lives clutter free instead of constantly having to clean and straighten it up, life would be so much simpler. and we could use that time for other things , like time with God, family and friends.
ReplyDeleteSo true, Val... last Friday I had the um, pleasure (?) of cleaning off the kitchen table. It had Gideon banquet stuff, medical stuff, Medicare stuff (yep, as of next January), bills both paid and unpaid, and... stuff stuff! Don't ya hate those who are always organized? But, hey, there's margins on the table now (:
ReplyDeleteYeah Ron I don't think there'llever be a stop button pressed in my life. At leas I hope not for a while (I'd like to stick around for a while God). But I think I do a pretty good job of taking time to relax, maybe too good if you ask Em.
ReplyDeleteLike my farmville plot, I have so much going on, that I sometimes turn around to find the pumpkins have gone rotten! Connecting this to real life is not as far off as it may seem. I am learning that "no" isn't a bad word and it doesn't make you an unwilling or unfaithful servant. As with my crops 'down on da farm," I have learned to only plant what I have time to harvest. To take on more than what I can give my very best to is only giving my...well...half...or part.
ReplyDeleteSo, how does one decide if it's the right "seed" to plant? Well...you know it's coming...I ask the Master Farmer! I seek the "farming for dummies" book (aka:Bible) and search for what others have done to be successful at serving God and being "fruitful!" I rely on time-tested,life-approved "methods" if you will, other Christians have experienced, to learn what works, and what leaves one "in the dust!"
Enough farm-talk...Lord I'm in deep! Seriously though, I find myself wondering, is this it? Is this what my life is going to be? So busy...so bustling...organized chaos? (sometimes very unorganized!) But I have come to realise, yes! This is life alright! And like Val said...it's such a blessing to have sports practices to take children to...such a luxury to have a dishwasher to put all those dishes into. It is pure, unadulterated entertainment to watch the intricate sewing of life that is happening right before my eyes! I just have to take a few moments at sunset to stand at the edge of it all and breath a sigh of joyful relief! Because, although it may seem like just a bunch of dirt (and laundry,kids, drama, sports, sweeping, music practice, nominating committee, etc.) it soon enough will come to grow into something beautiful that God gave me to enjoy an thrive in! It's life...and I want to plow ahead! (No more dead pumpkins!) LOL
AWESOME BARB!!! absolutely awesome!! i have no farm, but I totally relate to your crop issues... When I am about to fall apart from the load of the day I try to stop (if only in my mind) and remember that everything I do has meaning. yes even laundry. And I strive to get it all done with most of my hair, and remember that I am an example to those around me. Working hard, taking care of my family and serving Christ is the type of woman my kids will be looking for in a wife and I have to show them that it is possible to do all of it. I want to be like Babe the pig I think it is, when after he did something good his master said "well done pig, well done" I want my Master to look at my works and when I meet Him, He will say "Well done my good and faithful servant, well done."
ReplyDeleteWhoa... although I really was taught not to poke at the bear with a stick, I'm pleased as punch with what a little provocation has produced.
ReplyDeleteBarb: I should probably save, print, and frame the beautiful piece that you posted but I'm just going to try to retain it in memory for a long time... that was just_beautifully said!!!
Val: The appreciation you reflect, the contentment you demonstrate, the joy you express regarding the normality and routine of your life is truly refreshing. And both of you do indeed show yourselves to be "the type of woman my kids will be looking for in a wife" some day (way too soon, I'm sure). What a blessing ALL of you are to Jeri and I and the whole Eastland family!