[Jake will be leading us Sunday, September 13... He has chosen Chapter 14 - "What is Success in Practical Terms?"]
In this chapter, we find a definition of "calling" from The Call by Os Guinness (http://www.ttf.org/index/about/guinness/): A calling is "The Truth that God calls us to Himself so decisively that everything we are, everything we do, and everything we have is invested with a special devotion and dynamism lived out as a response to His summons and service." Got it? In other words, God's calling is the individual reason for every choice you make in serving Him.
So much of our time is wrapped up in our jobs, trying to earn money to live the lifestyle we want. If we aren't spending this time and energy doing what God has called us to do, we will not be satisfied. We read in Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all of your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." It doesn't matter what job you do, with a Godly attitude you will be a success in God's eyes if you rely on Him.
Why are you in the job/career that you currently occupy? Is it where God wants you to be or are your own personal desires keeping you there or pushing you in the wrong way? With so much time in our lives being spent in our work, answering these questions can have significant impact on our future direction in life!
Think about it and leave a comment...
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, I work at the Ramada Inn on Exit 13, and to be honest, I never really thought about the role God played in me being out there. To put it lightly, I hate it out there. I'm only out there until I get my degree and am able to get a "big girl" job. I went back out there, after knowing the environment because I knew I could do the job and I was comfortable. Previous workers call the Ramada a "cult-da-sac" which isn't very far off base. You can get sucked into the melodrama and imaturity of the people out there.
ReplyDeleteI know that God doesn't want me to spend the rest of my life out there (Lord I hope not!) but I know that he will use me how he sees fit while I'm out there. I love doing his bidding, I just really wish he would hurry up so I can turn in my 2 weeks!