Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nehemiah's Nemesis - How Do I Know If I've Found the Right Person?

[Valarie is taking another turn this Sunday since Ron and Jeri are doing their Gideon thing again... She's chosen Chapter 29:  How Do I Know If I've Found the Right Person?]

Your life has been full of people coming and going out of it. Some stay for awhile while others are in and out in the blink of an eye. This chapter is based on marriage, but let's also take it a different direction...

What about close friends? They are there for you as much as family and spouses. They know you in and out. They are your other half. Well, how do you know they are the right person for you? Are they making you a better person? Are you making them better? Or are you simply in each other's lives out of habit and convenience? Is this person someone God wants you to be with? Are they the "right" person?

Page 164 broke down the story of Isaac and Rebekah into steps of action (see the text). Using yourself and a close friend, or your spouse, have you followed these steps? The author of our book had made of list of traits he wanted in a wife. Surprsingly, this list is not far off a list you would want from a friend. What is on your list?

I think this is a great lesson that can take all aspects of our class member's lives and make them relate. What type of person do you desire to be friends with or marry. Is this type of person someone you would have thought of as a friend or spouse earlier in your life? Is this the person God wants you to be with forever? God doesn't want us to be alone and friends are just as important as a spouse.

That's how I see it and now it's YOUR TURN... post your comments and then come to Sunday School ready to discuss these matters together. Seeya on Sunday!
.

3 comments:

  1. Cool, Val... you've given the lesson a fresh twist. While not everybody marries, we all do have friends - some for a season and some for life. I haven't read the chapter yet so comments on those "steps" will have to wait. Um, may I take exception to the last thing ("friends are just as important as a spouse")you said? It would be hard to convince me that one's friends are as important as a spouse (and, if that were the case) I'd think the marriage is in deep doo-doo!). I can't imagine being married to someone who wasn't vastly more important (and more loved, and...)than any of my friends (or all of 'em together). Just my 2 cents worth (though Jeri is my Million $$$ Prize).

    ReplyDelete
  2. good call on that Ron, except what about your spouse BEING your friend? I know people that have been married for years but AREN'T friends. They have what seems to be a happy marriage but have seperate friends. And for single people, friends are obviously the mosr important relationships... that's my 2 cents. We almost have a nickle now. If more people post maybe we can get enought cents for a pop LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with Val there. Your spouse should be your best friend. I know I'm fairly new to the whole marraige thing, but I would have to say that Em is my best friend. But then again I have a pretty short list. I have quite a few friends all over the country, but I don't really have a large close group of friends here that I talk to all of the time. Em and I really just have one other couple that we hang out with alot. They are great, and we have a good time. Then of course there's Barb and Tony. They are great friends and teachers too. Although I don't have many close friends the ones that God has blessed me with really go above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete