Sunday, September 6, 2009

Nehemiah's Nemesis - Continuing "The Story"

Valarie led a small class this morning with support from Jake, of course, and Gideon, Ron and Jeri contributed their ideas as usual. It was Valarie's first time teaching and she handled it like a real pro... Way to go, Val!

We added to the comments various ones had posted on the previous blog entry (http://nehemiahsnemesis.blogspot.com/2009/09/nehemiahs-nemesis-whats-your-story.html) and considered some fresh questions as well. Much time was spent exploring whether we believed that a final rendering of our life's story would focus on our Christ-likeness.

Let's continue that discussion as we add our comments here... Will whoever tells about your life after you're gone emphasize your Christ-likeness? What do you hope will be remembered about the way you lived your life? And, what can you do NOW to impact how your story will be told?
.

4 comments:

  1. i love having this blog so i can caome back and comment after i thought of something after class...and that always happens.

    When i was in 3rd 4th and 5th grade we lived in a hole in the wall in Nevada. the town was 1 square mile big. So everyone knew everyone and the comings and goings of good ol' Hawthorne. There was a lady in our church named Linda Lee. Not sure why but everyone in town called her by here 1st nad last name as if it were one. Linda Lee was always involved in our church. Kids loved being in the same class as one of her 4 becuase she was the mom that always baked cupcakes or brought snacks. Linda Lee was also the "town babysitter" She was truley an amazing woman. Then in the summer of 1990 while taking her middle son Thomas to the E.R. beacuse he was having an asthma attack, Linda Lee died of one. I dont think she was even 35 years old, I was 10 and I remember so vividly that night. I cried on our front porch with my mom and dad. My heart hurt so bad and I couldnt understand why she was gone. I thought she was the craziest funniest sweetest most Godly woman I had ever known in those 10 years of life, and I knew I would always miss her. I still have the birthday card I got from her the year before. It's one of the dearest pieces of my past. The amazing thing about Linda Lee is, after 20 years, my family or others that we still keep in touch with, still talk about Linda Lee. It is my hope that after all these years, she knows we still remember her and remember the impact she had on such a small town. She for sure left a legacy. I would'nt mind being remembered like that. That is what i strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not well traveled, not well bred. not well to do or well read. I just wanna hear instead,
    "well done good and faithful one!"...I wanna leave a legacy,how will they remember me?...
    Did I point to You enough to leave a mark on things...A child of mercy & grace who blessed Your name, unappologetically..I wanna leave a legacy...." the lyrics from one of my favorite Christian singers comes to mind as I think of how I want to be remembered after I'm gone. I sometimes wonder if I am making any impact on my world at all. When I lose my temper with my children, I wonder if that's how they will remember me...the grumpy mom whom you didn't want to cross? Then I remember that there are times when I have had those teachable moments and I hope with all my heart that they retain those moments more than the moments I have snipped at them like a mother dog weining her pups.
    Not just my children...but my husband...my family...my friends...am I who I am, no matter where I am?...would there be conflicting reports? I hope that all would be in agreement...that I was a loving mother & wife, devoted Christian woman, and a wonderful friend.
    What can I do to rest assured my story will be one to be remembered and told with fondness? I suppose it's to be the best me I can be...following God's path for me...I guess, in the words of another of my favorite songs.."do justice, love mercy, walk calmly with my God!" is a good way to start! I know no other way to have total assurance of peace with whatever comes my way than to seek God's will in everything. In the end, I know it will only matter that I knew Him..personally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val and Barb: Your comments are a blessing to this old school teacher... thank you both for all you're sharing on the blog, at EBC, and in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. guess we all want to be remember as good Christians. not just some one who went to church only twice in their lives "once when they were wed and once when they were dead" As i see it, we are all well on our way to being thought of as postive loving Godly people. and what more could we ask for

    ReplyDelete