Saturday, August 29, 2009

Nehemiah's Nemesis - Begin... By Waiting?

{Jeri chose the lesson for Sunday, August 30, 2009
Ch. 28 "How Does One Wait on God's Timing"}

The theme for our lesson this week is waiting and it's based on Psalm 130:5-6.  Verse 5 begins "I wait for the Lord."  Are you waiting for the Lord to give you direction and guidance in the way He wants you to go?  Or has the Lord already spoken to you and you're still waiting?  Hmmm...   Are you waiting or are you procrastinating?  How do we know when to continue to wait and when to take action?   We'll look at these questions and more.   I'm waiting for your comments... be BOLD!
.

11 comments:

  1. YEAH IM THE 1st....i read this and thought, Jeez jeri, make a hard one why don't ya. I shall do my best.
    I was the type of person that needed a "sign" in order to decide what God wanted me to do. But then I realized, just thinking that God wanted me to do something WAS my sign. (Duh to me) Now, whenever I even think God is telling me to do or say something or go somewhere, I act. What's the worst that could happen? he hasn't let me down yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impatient. I want the man of my dreams NOW. I want to know what I'm supposed to do with the rest of my life NOW. I tend to overthink everything...so everytime something happens, I bore myself down with, "is that God telling me to do this? Or the satan wanting me to think it's God?" Therefore - i do nothing, which I know is the worst thing I could do. This is why it took me so long to leave TJ, even though I knew in my head that I didn't love him anymore, and he didn't love me. This is why I've stayed at the Ramada for as long as I have. Every couple of months, things go wrong - way wrong. Sometimes it's my stupidity (can't keep my mouth shut to save my life), but this last time, I didn't do anything. So, I think, maybe God wants me to leave. Then a friend of mine's husband is knocking on deaths door, and I feel I should be there for her. So i think again, Do i leave? Or does satan just not want me to talk to my friend? Very confusing for a squib like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valarie - thanks for your input. Sounds like you don't even need to join us in the morning! But please do anyway! And you're right that God WILL NOT let us down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya - I have to admit to some of the same thinking about whether it's God or the evil one trying to get my attention. Over the past few years I've gotten a lot better at figuring that out. Praying and being in the Word is the best way I've found to make sure I'm not getting my signals crossed. Fellowship and study time with other Christians is another valuable asset in finding answers. Countless times I've considered or pondered something and then something will be said in one of those fellowship or study situations and the answer will be completely obvious. I'll have one of those "aha!" moments. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to add this lil side note. for some reason I was reminded of a little quote my dad has always had written in the front of his bibles. "god is seldom early, but never late." It took me years to grasp such a concept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the final session of the Life Skills classes at CCNO (our regional jail) we use Isaiah 40:31 which reads "But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint." Did you know that an eagle knows when a storm is approaching and flies to a high spot before the storm hits... and waits! While the storm rages below, the eagle soars above it (http://allaboutprayer.org/waiting-on-god.htm). Isn't that how God wants us to handle sickness, tragedy, failure, and disappointment? At my age I've seen plenty of those storms and, usually, I failed to rise above them. But in recent years I've been doing better. I may not fly to a high spot before the storm, but I know to rise above it when it hits... and wait. And, when I do, God "showers" his blessings on me in amazing ways - because I rose above the storm... and waited, waited for Him to see me through it. Praise God (continually!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't want to disagree with you Ron but I think sometimes the places where I grow the most is not waiting above the storm, but going through it. God didn't tell us to walk around the Valley of the Shadow of Death...He told us to walk through it. I do know I am getting a bit away from the point of the lesson...but then again that's what I tend to do...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matt: We're allowed to disagree... so long as we stay on [one of] His page(s). I don't see your point and mine (which I um, borrowed) as mutually exclusive. Sometimes a different approach is needed for widely varying circumstances... we might fly high above or we might walk through or, let's see, there was that thing about the Red Sea parting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i guess no matter what mode or method we use, it's getting to the same destination that matters the most.. Right guys?

    ReplyDelete
  10. At the risk of sounding like I am on the fence, Ron and Matt are both right. Sometimes God wants us to soar over the storm and wait until it is over but there are times He lets us go through the storm, but He NEVER leaves us!

    ReplyDelete